COTTAGE KITCHEN

In a well-furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets---some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage.
Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing.
" You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." Psalm 23:5

Thursday, December 16, 2010

CRANBERRY-PECAN BARS

This is a great way to use fresh cranberries. I like it best with the fresh berries but you may substitute the crasins if that is what you have.
~CRUST~
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans

In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and sugar, cut in butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs, stir in the pecans. Press this mixture into a 13x9x2 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. While this is baking make the filling.

~FILLING~
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2 eggs beaten
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Tablespoon orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped cranberries
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Combine the sugar and flour. Stir in the eggs, milk, orange zest and vanilla. Fold in the cranberries, coconut and 1/2 cup chopped pecans. When crust comes out of the oven pour this over and bake for 25-30 minutes more. Just until the tops is lightly golden. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack and then cut into bars. I say what ever size yoou like but it should make about 36 bars. Mine never does, I like them bigger so about 24 for me.
~~~~~
I found this recipe in a Better Homes and Garden magazine but I have altered it a bit to my liking. You may use 3/4 cup of coconut if you like coconut. I have tried this and I like it. It isn't to much, in my opinion. My daughter Michelle likes this one alot. I started making it when we moved to Minnesota 10 years ago. Most of my family lives in Washington state and so it was up to me to do all the Holiday baking. I like to try a few new things every year and have to change them out for some of the old things but it works well for us. If I made it all I would never get out of the kitchen and I would be 500 pounds and unable to cook.
~ENJOY~
MERRY CHRISTMAS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice, This sounds so very delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Merry Christmas!