COTTAGE KITCHEN

In a well-furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets---some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage.
Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing.
" You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." Psalm 23:5

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

HAPPINGS AROUND THE COTTAGE

On Mondays I like to have soup during the winter months. I usually cook some type of roast for Sunday dinner so there is usually something leftover for soup on Monday, this week it was from a pork roast. My mother-in-law taught me how to make this soup. I call it saurkraut soup because I can't spell the German name for it. I like to serve potato rolls with it but it was my first day babysitting Eleanor so I didn't try to make them and served biscuits instead. (I have changed it slightly to suit my needs)

6-8 cups chicken stock
4-6 potatoes cubed
left over pork 1-2 cups cubed
1 -2 cups sauerkraut well rinsed or your soup will be sour
Put the first 3 ingredients together and simmer until the potatoes are cooked
add the sauerkraut and warm through.
( I usually use some of the drippings left from the roast to give the broth more flavor)
If you like you can use celery, onion a little carrot to make a soup stock added to the chicken stock you use. What ever you like to flavor it the way you like but I swear it is as good as chicken soup for what ails you.. might even cure the common cold. Give it a try!!
My homemade biscuits but this time I added an egg to make them extra rich
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 - 1/3 cup shortening
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
mix the dry ingredients first add shortening then wet ingredients, roll out on floured board cut into shapes and Bake at 450 degrees for 10 -12 minutes


My first day with Ellie went very well. She is learning to take a bottle


Hey grandma I can't sit up yet


Grandmas house was so much fun I fell asleep just before daddy came to pick me up

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie is so very dainty. What cute pictures of her!

Thanks for another great recipe. I have all the ingredients for this one; I'll give it a try over the long weekend.

Enjoy your day.

KathyB. said...

I have never added eggs to my biscuits...I am going to try this. Be sure and remember to write all these recipes in our upcoming blog!