COTTAGE KITCHEN

In a well-furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets---some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage.
Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing.
" You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." Psalm 23:5

Sunday, May 30, 2010

CEREAL BARS FOR MEMORIAL DAY

While I am waiting for my angelfood cake to come out of the oven I thought I would share a couple of cereal bar recipes I made for our Memorial Day picnic. I like smores but I felt the recipe on the box was to sweet and too messy so I altered it a bit. First you melt 4-5 Tablespoons butter( I use 5) then add one 10.5 oz package mini marshmallows (I use Kraft jet-puffed) use medium heat or lower so they don't burn. Keep stiring until they are all melted together and it looks like the picture below

measure 6 cups Golden Grahams cereal in a large bowl
butter a pan about 13x9 (i used a bit smaller pan) depends on how thick you want them

Pour melted marshmallow mixture over cereal and fold over with a rubber scrapper until well coated

put in greased pan and pat with your buttered hands until even (you want them a little loose so the chocolate falls through a little bit)

pour over melted chocolate (i used a double boiler and picture is below) use one 12 oz package semi-sweet Hersheys cocolate chips

I used white chocolate chips for the next recipe
melting chocolate in double boiler below

This is Rice Krispies Bars we all know and love.
I used 7 cups rice krispies, one 10.5 oz package marshmallows,
5 tablespoons melted butter
and the same directions as above.
pat in buttered pan these may be a little more solid


I melted the white chocolate and tried to add red and blue food coloring so they would be patriotic but it turned out to be pastel and more suited for a baby shower, but they are still delicious.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Carol............. said...

No fair...now I'm off to the kitchen to raid the candy bars! You made my sweet tooth act up! LOL

Thistle Cove Farm said...

It's closing on 10 p.m. here and your post makes me want to head to the kitchen and not the bedroom! I SO want something sweet to eat; maybe just anything to eat..I'm still hungry from supper.